The need for transfusion education varies according to profession and specialty. The group was set up to address the lack of a co-ordinated approach to transfusion education in terms of both curriculum content and consistency of availability for both pre and post registration training of all HCPs (Doctors, Nurses and Midwives) as well as to support scientific and technical training.
The group works to:
- influence professional bodies around transfusion curriculum design and delivery
- improve both undergraduate and postgraduate medical education in transfusion through collaboration with stakeholders
- support the use of cross professional, nationally recognised training modules (Blood Transfusion Training)
- strengthen existing training for specialist registrars, nurses and transfusion laboratory staff. This includes supporting the development of resources as well as training modules and programmes
- promote and support the development of the Consultant Clinical Scientist role